Wild Boar and Mushroom Pie
Having seen the recent episode of Outlander where the boar hunt goes horribly wrong, I decided not to go boar hunting and so this is really a mushroom pie (without wild boar). You could of course put in any meat, including chicken or beef.
This recipe comes from Rules restaurant in London which is the oldest restaurant in the English capital, having been open since the late 18th century. They do serve wild boar and musroom pie if you fancy to make a booking and try this delicacy. In the tradition of Outlander, wash it down with a large dram of whisky.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 250g thinly sliced mushrooms
- 100g button mushrooms, quartered
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1 sheet of frozen puff pastry
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
1. Preheat oven to 180C/375F.
2. Heat olive oil in a frypan, add onion and mushrooms. Sauté until well browned. Add the carrot and vegetable stock and stir.
3. Simmer 8-10 minutes until carrots are just tender.
4. Stir in soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce. Sprinkle frying pan with the flour and stir it in. Simmer and stir until sauce is thickened which will take a couple of minutes. Remove from heat and stir in thyme.
5. Pour contents of the frypan into pie plate and top with pastry sheet.
6. Brush pastry with lightly beaten egg and water mixture.
7. Bake 40 mins or until pastry is golden brown.